Ribbon belts are fun, easy to make, and a great accessory for a summer outfit! There are many ways to make a ribbon belt, so experiment with contrasting ribbons, threads, or patterns. Create a reversible ribbon belt using two ribbon pieces. Once you find your creative direction, gather these simple supplies to get started:
- 2 yards Jacquard or Grosgrain, Ribbon (or two 1-yard pieces of different ribbons)
- 2 1-Inch D Rings
- Matching Thread
- Sewing Machine
Single Ribbon Belt Instructions:
- Fold ribbon in half and place D rings at the center of the fold. This will create a belt that is one yard in length.
- Start sewing at top of belt to secure D rings, and continue sewing entire perimeter of ribbon. Backstitch, sew, and pivot at ribbon’s edge.
- Once you have sewn together an entire length of the ribbon, fold down remaining edges, pivot, and continue sewing over edges and up the opposite long side of ribbon.
- Match belt with a summer outfit, and interweave ribbon through D rings to secure!
Double Ribbon Belt Instructions:
- Choose two matching (or contrasting!) pieces of ribbon to create your belt. Align ribbons together, and sew both pieces together at ribbon’s short end with a straight line.
- Flip ribbon inside out, so that seam will rest against D rings. Place D rings in fold at the seam. Follow instructions for Single Ribbon Belt, and begin sewing around perimeter to enclose D rings.
- Continue to sew around perimeter, until you reach the opposite short edge of the ribbon. Tuck under rough edges and continue to sew around perimeter until belt is complete!
Mix and match to create the ultimate summer outfit. Experiment with belt enclosures, and find unique color combinations. The possibilities are endless with this long-time favorite accessory. Need some ideas to get started? Below are some of our suggestions for the perfect ribbon for this project:
- JKM Dot Fantasy Jacquard Ribbon
- Aram Grosgrain Stripe 1 ½’
- JKM Aspirin Multi-Dot Grosgrain Ribbon 1 ½’